Primary Care is the front door of the NHS that almost every patient will access at some point in time. As the NHS evolves and transforms, primary care is changing rapidly to meet this pace of transformation and also to continue to meet the needs of the population.
Leadership is a core capability that is required to achieve transformation but also to continue to deliver high quality patient care. The Developing Leadership in Primary Care programme is focused on equipping leaders in this Primary Care with the key insights, skills and capabilities to lead this demanding agenda.
This five day programme, delivered over five months has been designed to develop current and future leaders in primary care to build confidence and increase self awareness, whilst applying newly acquired knowledge of leading inclusively with compassion. The programme will also build a comprehensive picture of the wider Health and Social Care environment providing an opportunity for participants to apply the practical elements of collaborative leadership.
- Practice Managers
- GPs and GP Leaders
- Those individuals aspiring to a leadership role within Primary Care
Whilst undertaking the programme delegates will cover the following subject areas:
- What is leadership?
- Leadership styles
- The current NHS system and the challenges for general practice
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Leading and managing change in general practice
- Habits of successful primary care managers
- Coaching skills for leaders and managers
- Emotional Intelligence
- Inclusive team working and quality improvement
Outcomes include participants being able to:
- Improve the effectiveness of their teams
- Improve the patient experience through excellent leadership
- Feel competent, confident and motivated to build on their existing leadership skills
- Understand leadership styles and approaches and how to use them
- Understand and know how to engage in the wider health and social care system
Programme dates, times and venue
- Tuesday 19th November 2019, 9.30 – 4.30, South West House, Taunton
- Thursday 19th December 2019, 9.30 – 4.30, South West House, Taunton
- Thursday 9th January 2020, 9.30 – 4.30, South West House, Taunton
- Thursday 27th February 2020, 9.30 – 4.30, South West House, Taunton
- Tuesday 10th March 2020, 9.30 – 4.30, South West House, Taunton
Dr Thoreya Swage, Consultant in Healthcare Management
Thoreya has 11 years experience in the NHS both as a clinician (psychiatry) and a senior manager in various NHS purchasing organisations covering the acute sector as well as primary care development. Her last NHS post was Executive Director of a Health Authority with a remit to develop all types of GP Commissioning including GP Fundholding.
Since 1997 Thoreya has run a successful management consultancy business during which time she has developed particular expertise in the field of service reviews and redesign, strategic development, clinical governance, reviews of the evidence, commissioning and procurement with the NHS and independent sector and education and training. In 2006-7 she was Deputy Medical Director at the Commercial Directorate, Department of Health implementing the Independent Sector Treatment Programme. She has taught at Reading University, Queen Mary, University of London and King’s College, London, and has researched and written a number of published articles.
Thoreya is a Non-Executive Director at Barts Health NHS Trust and Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust. She is an associate at the Oxford Health Experiences Institute.
How to Apply:
Applications for the cohort starting on Tuesday 19th November have closed. To express your interest in a future cohort please click here.