Venue: South West Leadership Academy
Inclusive Leadership – with a compassionate approach
Almost every day we read about the adverse effect of inequality, prejudice and discrimination and calls for greater fairness, equality and social justice. And whilst things are changing for the better, progress at times can feel slow and often fraught with challenges. So finding ways to engage the hearts and minds of colleagues and fellow workers is critical to success. This too is effective leadership.
The Inclusive Leadership programme will introduce you to a simple, yet effective approaches to inclusion, that will enable you stay engaged with challenging situations without feeling overwhelmed. Moreover, you will learn how, rather than reactively responding to ‘difficulties’ aggressively or defensively, to take a pro-active, calm, thoughtful and effective response thereby making a real difference in building an inclusive and equitable workplace.
The inclusive leadership programme offers an opportunity to cultivate your natural compassion so that is can be applied to creating inclusive, diverse and equitable culture and develop inclusive leadership practices.
Individuals with a commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion whose work provides the opportunity to apply programme learning within their workplace.
Aims and objectives:
– Understand compassion based approaches to inclusion, including addressing unconscious bias, and building a fair, equitable and inclusive workplace culture.
– Recognise your personal strengths for promoting inclusion and how to put them to best use in their work.
– Learn and practice compassionate ways to approaching familiar challenges.
– Explore compassion-based ways to ensure staff engagement with inclusion, including leadership buy-in.
– Learn and practice self-compassion as way of maintaining their resilience during difficult times.
Programme dates, venue and times:
- Wednesday 2nd October, 09.30 – 17.00, South West House, Taunton
- Thursday 3rd October, 09.30 – 17.00, South West House, Taunton
- Wednesday 23rd October, 09.30 – 17.00, South West House, Taunton
- Monday 11th November, 09.30 – 17.00, South West House, Taunton
- Wednesday 4th December, 09.30 – 17.00, South West House, Taunton
- Wednesday 8th January, 09.30 – 17.00, South West House, Taunton
Byron Lee, Value Added Learning Byron began his professional life as a nurse back in the 80’s and enjoyed a varied career within the NHS until 1997, including leading on clinical change programmes, teaching on clinical and professional education courses, and providing occupational health counselling and clinical supervision. He became a freelance training and management consultant in 1997 to focus on developing his work in the field of inclusion, diversity and equality within a host of different sectors, and has maintained a strong link with the health and care sectors.
Today, he makes best use of his training and experience within leadership education and coaching, mindfulness, positive psychology, and interpersonal, inclusion and diversity management skills to support the development of individuals, teams and organizations. His research and practice has led him to develop compassionate leadership programmes, including leading with compassionate inclusion.
Applications for this programme have now closed to find out about other leadership development opportunities please contact: leadership.SW@leadershipacademy.nhs.uk.